Aurelia's Chorizo & Mushrooms in Triple Sherry Cream Reduction
- 3 Tablespoons pure olive oil
- 2 large shallots
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 5 ounces small white button mushrooms, halved
- 3 ounces shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups medium-dry sherry (amontillado), divided
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 link Aurelia's Chorizo (about 2 1/2 ounces), sliced very thin
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup cream sherry
- 1 Knorr chicken bouillon cube
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- French baguette slices, slightly toasted
Heat olive oil in a heavy 10-inch skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, add the shallots and garlic; saute until shallots are wilted and transparent, about 5 minutes. Do not allow garlic to brown. Stir in the mushrooms and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring often, until mushroom liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are limp, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add 2/3 cup of the dry sherry and the thyme. Stir in the chorizo. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until sherry is reduced to a mere glaze, about 5 minutes.
Repeat two more times, using 2/3 cup of sherry and reducing to a glaze each time. Stir in the whipping cream, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom and sides of the pan. Add the bouillon cube and stir to dissolve. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until cream is thickened, about 6 minutes. Add the cream sherry and stir to blend well. Adjust seasoning. Remove from heat and discard the thyme sprigs.
Transfer to a shallow serving dish and serve hot with toasted baguette slices.
Share this recipe
- Red Wine